Text: Psalm 14:1
Believing there is no God is foolishness. There is ample evidence to believe in His existence (Psalm 19:1; Romans 1:20). But what about one who chooses to live as though he is an atheist? This is what a Seventh-Day Adventist pastor chose to do – live without God for a year (no praying, reading the Bible, or thinking about God). Though he says he’s not an atheist (yet), his “experiment” suggests that he may already be one. This lesson will look at atheism and some lessons we should learn as we try to avoid it.
What is Atheism?
- Atheism is the belief that there is no God – some say it is the lack of belief, but it certainly is belief
- Faith has to do with things “not seen” (Hebrews 11:1) – even if one does not believe in God, there is a lot that is unseen, unknown, and unknowable to him
- It is a leap of faith to say that God does not exist
Some Religious People are Atheists
- There are people who practice some religion but do not believe any of it (possibly this man) – they go through the motions but believe it’s all meaningless (2 Timothy 3:5)
- Why would an atheist practice some religion? … could be tradition/habit; maybe trying to please others; might enjoy the church as a social club; etc.
If We Believe in God…
- How can we not pray? … understand that we are dependent upon Him (Matthew 6:11); receive the peace of God (Philippians 4:6-7)
- How can we not study His word? … to know about Him and His will (Deuteronomy 29:29); to know what He would have us to do (Psalm 119:105)
- How can we not think about Him? … in Him we live, move, and exist (Acts 17:28); every good thing we have comes from Him (James 1:17); we are to acknowledge Him in all our ways (Proverbs 3:6)
- How can we not obey Him? … He sees all (Hebrews 4:13) and judges all (Romans 2:16)
- Let us examine ourselves (2 Corinthians 13:5) – are we much different than one experimenting with atheism? … do we pray as we should? … do we devote time and effort to Bible study? … do we remember God in our daily lives? … do we strive to obey Him in all that we do?
We Cannot Risk Our Soul to an “Experiment”
- Our time on earth is limited – could end in death or at the Lord’s return (Hebrews 9:27; 2 Peter 3:10)
- Therefore, we must make the most of our time (Ephesians 5:15-16) – do not risk your soul to follow other pursuits (Luke 12:19-20)
- If we forfeit our soul, nothing can save us (Matthew 16:26)
What Would Cause One to Reject God?
- Disbelief (atheism) – without faith we cannot please God (Hebrews 11:6)
- Willful rebellion – recognize that God exists, but refuse to obey Him
- Either one leads to damnation (2 Thessalonians 1:8-9) – we must know God (believe) and obey the gospel if we hope to be saved